Vaisala Energy Support
Wind Online Tools
The Wind Online Tools are a powerful, web-based application with a simple point and click map for easily accessing renewable resource data. For help using these tools, please select from the below list of frequently asked questions. If you require additional assistance, please contact 3TIER Support.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I enter a location?
- How do I interpret the graph provided by the Monthly Mean Wind Speed Tool?
- What does the Annual Mean Wind Speed Tool provide?
- How do I interpret the wind rose provided by the Annual Mean Wind Rose Tool?
- What does the Wind Speed Distribution Tool provide?
- Why do we show a +/- next to the annual value?
- What wind speeds are shown on the map?
- How can I compare sites side-by-side?
- What affects wind at a given site?
- What is a hub height?
- How do I change locations for individual tools?
- What makes a good wind resource?
- What is a wind resource assessment?
- What do the colors on the map mean?
- What is the source of the information?
- How accurate are the Wind Prospecting Tools?
- Why does the map disappear?
- How was the 5 km global wind dataset created?
- Does 3TIER incorporate observational data?
- What were 3TIER's data validation procedures for the 5 km global wind dataset?
- What happened to 3TIER’s Reference Wind Time Series Product?
- Why is ERA-I available everywhere but not NNRP-D?
- I notice that sometimes ERA-I and NNRP-D disagree, by quite a bit, which one should I use?
- Why do all the various datasets have different start and end times?
- Doesn’t horizontal resolution matter? What about downscaling with weather models like WRF and MM5?
- Why are the long-term mean values of each data set so similar and why don’t they match the values I get when I download these data directly from the various global modeling centers?