Vaisala Energy Support
What updates were applied to the datasets in November 2019?
Vaisala produces five different satellite irradiance datasets using different combinations of clear-sky models and sources of aerosol and water vapor inputs, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. The details for each dataset are contained in their respective FAQ pages.
The changes made in the November 2019 update affect the aerosol information in each of the datasets. The three datasets using the “Modified Kasten” clear sky algorithm (datasets 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2) now ingest data from the latest MODIS aerosol products released by NASA, i.e., Collection 6.1 rather than Collection 5.1. Reference parameter values used to describe aerosol characteristics were updated in datasets using the “REST2” clear sky algorithm (datasets 2.0 and 2.1). These changes are intended to improve the representation of aerosols, which strongly affect the transmission of radiation through the clear atmosphere.
Validation results for the revised datasets are provided in an updated version of our validation white paper. The updated white paper, which includes further details about our methodology, is available here.
More Solar Online Tools Questions
- Which weather data source should I pick?
- What's the latest month available in the solar time series tool?
- What solar values are shown on the map?
- How do I enter a location?
- Why does the map disappear?
- How do I interpret the graphs provided by the Monthly Mean Irradiance Tools in the Prospecting Tools?
- What do the Annual Mean Irradiance Tools in the Prospecting Tools provide?
- How can I compare sites side-by-side in the Prospecting Tools?
- How much area is covered by the Solar Prospecting Tools?
- How accurate are the Solar Prospecting Tools?
- What data is shown in the Solar Time Series Viewer?
- What data can I get from the Solar Time Series Download tool?
- What is the Vaisala 1.0 dataset?
- What is the Vaisala 1.1 dataset?
- What is the Vaisala 1.2 dataset?
- What is the Vaisala 2.0 dataset?
- What is the Vaisala 2.1 dataset?
- The datasets give different answers. Which one is right?
- How accurate is the data in the Solar Time Series Tools?
- What are the units of irradiance?
- What is the “TMY” Data Type in the Solar Time Series Download tool?
- What is the “Long-Term” Data Type in the Solar Time Series Download tool?
- Why does the data not match my observations?
- How do I input CSV files into PVSyst?
- How can I input time series data into PVSyst?
- What is Global Horizontal Irradiance?
- What is Direct Normal Irradiance?
- What is Diffuse Horizontal Irradiance?
- What affects solar radiation at a given site?
If you didn't find what you were looking for, please contact 3TIER Support for additional assistance.